One day last year I began following this HR professional from (Calgary at the time) now Vancouver. She sounded smart, shared a lot of great content, and actually talked to other people! She had me at retweet, I was sold.
I end up in Vancouver just before the Grey Cup last year and thought I’d throw a Tweet out there to see if this mystically smart, yelling in her avatar, Vancouvian influencer, would go for supper with me. She did have to verify I wasn’t just a Tweetin’ creep through a mutual friend, Kendal Harazny, his referenced checked out though. (thanks Kendal)
I’m fascinated with Ms. Walker, she has already done so much, and she’s very smart to talk to. A strong work ethic and a wonderful personality make for a very accomplished Human Resource (HR) professional who’ll end up changing our world for the better.
Running time: 46:29
In this episode:
- Where Jillian came from and where she resides now.
- How we first met (she wore “pleather” pants).
- Where she first worked in a corporation and how it taught her a very important lesson.
- How she became the “Gen Y HR girl”.
- How she won a much more valuable prize than money in a video contest (the prize was 5 one hour meetings with 5 CEO’s of National and International companies).
- A shout out to KPMG for the kind words from the CEO.
- Why doing informational interviews is a good idea and why more people should take the initiative. Especially if you want to understand a company more thorough.
- The story about why sometimes you just need to haul ass.
- Why she doesn’t want to grow her business, seriously, she doesn’t.
- What business owners, CEO’s and executives need to know about HR.
- What the future of HR and it’s practices will look like.
- Why the future of HR should not be left in the hands of HR minded people but instead, business minded people.
- It’s time for a major change in the Human Resource industry.
- If you are a candidate for a job you can assume some one Google’d you and looked up your Facebook profile.
- Google and Social Media platforms are more of an opportunity than a liability if you’re a candidate for a job.
- Why guys should be aware of the length of their pants when dressing up. A warning from Jillian.
- What Jillian does in her spare time (if she actually does have spare time)
- Where she writes online
- Her Social Media Policy where you can learn where to connect to her. Follow her on Twitter here.
- A lesson from the show The Real Housewives of Vancouver.
- She gives some very smart advice at the end; “Just be yourself”. “You are the sum of the five people you hang around with the most”.
- “If one person learns, you’ve done your job.”
Listen to the previous episodes…